When Do Babies Start Teething?
According to the Indian Dental Association (IDA) the first set of teeth, also called milk teeth or baby teeth begin to develop before birth and simply start erupting in the mouth between the age of 6 months to 2 ½ years.
What are the Symptoms of Teething in Babies?
One in 300 babies are born with teeth but most babies’ teeth start to erupt through the gum line from 6 months to 2 ½ year and the whole process causes discomfort to your babies, the same kind of discomfort you feel when your wisdom tooth erupts. The common symptoms of teething are:
- Sore Tender Gums
- Crankiness & Irritability
- Trouble Sleeping
- Biting on Toys
Some people also believe fever and diarrhea are also symptoms of teething babies but researchers think otherwise. Temperature above than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degree Celsius) is considered fever in babies so if your baby is having fever or diarrhea, please consult your pediatrician. Children start putting everything in their mouth while teething so fever and diarrhea can be the symptoms of infection also.
Some babies pass through this period very quietly while others struggle. Babies’ teething symptoms change from one baby to another, even one tooth to another.
How to Relieve Teething Pain in Babies?
This can be a really hard time for babies and mothers as well. There are a few things we can do to ease the teething pain for your baby:
- Massage the baby’s gum with a clean finger. Just make sure your finger is clean before putting it in the baby’s mouth.
- Offer them a teether to chew on can also help, make sure it’s natural and does not contain any kind of chemicals. Teethers made from cheap plastic can break easily and harm baby’s gum. You will find a lot of liquid filled teethers in the market which can be punctured by a baby and the baby might accidentally swallow it.
- Some people also give a chilled spoon (not frozen, no plastic, no sharp edges) to chew on to alleviate the pain.
- If your baby is crying and cannot handle the pain or extremely cranky for more than two days then consult your pediatrician for medical help.
How to Clean Babies Teeth?
According to ADA, you can wipe babies gums clean with a washcloth or cotton pad. When teeth do appear, brush them twice a day using a small amount of toothpaste. The toothpaste should be an amount about the size of a grain of rice. When a baby’s first tooth arrives, it’s usually the right time to fix their first dental appointment with a dentist and they can provide you with valuable insight.